White Coat Ceremony!! (Plus First 2 weeks of Clerkship)

Heeey reader, how's it going?

This post is probably 2 or 3 weeks overdue, but who are we kidding, I'm always late on posting LOL.

So July 18th has come and gone, and with it, new and exciting experiences. One of which would be our white coat ceremony (as you can tell by the title). This was a day I was actually looking forward too since I began medical school, and I'm glad I was in a good mind space to experience it.

What, exactly is the white coat ceremony you may ask? (you're probably not asking but hey)

 "The ceremony signifies the beginning of students’ journeys to achieve the long white coat, when they are physicians. It also symbolizes professionalism, caring and trust, which they must earn from patients... The ceremony “welcomes those embarking on their medical careers to the community of physicians by giving them this powerful symbol of compassion and honor.. It also gives them a standard against which they must measure their every act of care to the patients who trust them.” Reference

The ceremony itself was pretty short, with there being 1 or 2 speakers (can't really remember lol), then receiving of the white coats, followed by reciting an oath. The photos will basically speak for themselves to be honest.

I was happy AF!!!

P.S. my feet were basically numb after taking photos LOL










Oh and there's more footage of the ceremony on my youtube channel

Fast forward to basically one month later (it's now august 17th) and we've completed 2 weeks clerkship so far. 

Man.

LOL what a completely different experience from class. This is definitely more tiring and satisfying. I mean trying to figure your shit out in the hospital definitely takes some adjusting time, but while you get the hang of things your confidence begins to grow more and more. I'm currently in Pediatric Surgery and Colorectal Surgery Departments. 

First Day!



My group (minus one) and my mentor

One thing I've noticed is that it's basically every man for himself, in terms of effort. If you don't put any effort in your work, research, wake up on time then you're the one who ends up looking dumb. No one will force you to study, go to the library, do the extra stuff - it's all up to you.

What we basically do is follow the Dr(s). around and observe their patients on the ward. Observe any changes, how the patient looks and feels, etc. Then we get to observe surgeries in the operating room! I got to scrub in on my first day lol! This Monday I got to do 2 stitches on a wound closure in pediatrics! I mean it's all about putting yourself out there, asking if they'd allow you to do certain things and TRYING. No need to feel embarrassed if you're not good at first, that's the point. That's why we're here, to learn. 

                                            

So much is happeningggggggg and my heart is full. I am content. My dreams are literally coming true right in front of my very eyes.

Love you, whoever you are. Thank you for taking time out to read my blog! ♥

Comments

Popular Posts